What is an Amish toothbrush rug?
Amish Knot or ‘Toothbrush’ rugs originate in America – named because the tool used as the needle was often a wooden toothbrush with the brush part cut off. They came with a hole at the end of the handle which made a useful eye for the needle.
How do you make a basket out of a rug?
- Cut out the tassels on either sides of the rug.
- Cut the rug length-ways using one of the stripes as a guideline.
- Fold the rug in half and be sure that the right sides are facing each other.
- Cut along the fold up until the third pink stripe.
- Spot the center of the rug and cut again, as shown below.