How much fabric for toothbrush rug?
The amount of fabric to make a rug depends on the size of rug you want. If you use two different colors, you will need about eight yards of fabric for each color. Using this yardage the finished rug should be about 24 by 36 inches.
Why is it called a toothbrush rug?
A “toothbrush rug” is also known as an “Amish knot rag rug.” It’s made of scrap material such as sheets or new material if you choose. The reason it is called a “toothbrush rug” is because you need to fabricate a rather large needle and an old-fashioned toothbrush is just the right size and style for this.
What is an amish toothbrush rug?
Amish Knot or ‘Toothbrush’ rugs originate in America – named because the tool used as the needle was often a wooden toothbrush with the brush part cut off. They came with a hole at the end of the handle which made a useful eye for the needle.
How do you sew a braided rug together?
- Thread a heavy-duty sewing needle with sturdy polyester thread.
- Coil one end of the braid in on itself on a flat surface, making a flat disc similar to a drink coaster.
- Stitch the edges of the coiled braid together with a backstitch or whip stitch, making another stitch approximately every inch.
How do you make a basket out of a rug?
- Cut out the tassels on either sides of the rug.
- Cut the rug length-ways using one of the stripes as a guideline.
- Fold the rug in half and be sure that the right sides are facing each other.
- Cut along the fold up until the third pink stripe.
- Spot the center of the rug and cut again, as shown below.